Apply for the Royal Life Saving Society (RLSS) Diploma if you or a team have contributed to the understanding of lifesaving and drowning prevention. Have you or your team produced lifesaving work(s) with high impact?
Have your research and drowning prevention achievements recognised.
- The RLSS Diploma recognises significant contributions to our life saving knowledge.
- It is one of the Society’s oldest and most prestigious international awards.
- The RLSS Diploma is awarded to individuals and teams, who have added to our knowledge in ways that can save lives and prevent drowning.
Theory, research, and practice based work all count including:
- effective broad-based communication or campaigns (for example, a magazine article that targeted changing risky behaviour)
- research reports (such as research studies, and literature reviews)
- analysis and presentation of data (perhaps applied studies of drowning statistics)
- reviews of community engagement activity (including drowning prevention campaigns)
- demonstrations of improved practices (possibly comparisons of rescue practices, or comprehensive reviews of equipment)
There’s no limit to the range of topics relevant to life saving considered including:
|● drowning prevention programmes and practice||● studies of partnerships with other agencies|
|● flooding and natural disaster resilience||● water safety policy|
|● lifesaving and lifeguarding equipment, training and practice||● aquatic operations and risk management|
|● lifesaving sport||● ice safety|
|● the epidemiology of drowning||● changing the behaviour of individuals and society|
There are no restrictions on who can apply (e.g. those in secondary education, university students, graduate students, lifesaving, lifeguarding or other professionals, researchers or academics). One of the applicants needs be from a member country of the RLSS. (See https://www.rlsscommonwealth.org/rlss-members/ to find a list of RLSS member countries.)
Entries must be accompanied by a completed RLSS Commonwealth Diploma Entry Form. This is a brief summary of the work to ensure that the right people are involved in its assessment. Applications are reviewed by the RLSS Commonwealth Diploma Selection Committee quarterly.
For further information click here or if you require any guidance for your application or more information, contact RLSS Headquarters by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Some recent recipients of the RLSS Diploma are (please click recipient name for details of their research):
|Dr. Stathis Avramidis||U.K.||2020|
|Dr. Richard Franklin||Australia||2018|
|Prof. Peter Leggat||Australia||2018|
|Prof. John Pearn||Australia||2018|
|Dr. Stathis Avramidis/Prof. Janice Miner Holden EdD||U.K.||2017|
|Dr. Jeff Wilks||Australia||2017|